Lucas Jewitt, HB COMM. JD
Lucas Jewitt is an Associate at CARREL+Partners LLP.
Aboriginal & Indigenous Law
As a member of Bora Laskin Faculty of Law's charter class Lucas was one of the first students in the province to complete a J.D. program tailored to northern/rural practice, responsible natural resource development, and the law as it relates to Indigenous peoples in Canada. During law school Lucas completed academic work related to Aboriginal law, the crown's duty to consult and accommodate, First Nations governance, mining law, environmental law, natural resource development, Indigenous law and Anishinaabe Constitutionalism. In addition to the Lakehead curriculum, Lucas participated in Osgoode Hall Law School's renowned Intensive Program in Aboriginal Lands, Resources and Governments. As part of that program, he was placed with West Coast Environmental Law's Aboriginal and Natural Resources law team in Vancouver where he was involved with projects that supported First Nation communities looking to revitalize, articulate, and apply aspects of their own Indigenous laws to questions of environmental governance.
Lucas feels privileged to have spent a number of years working with First Nations in the Lake Nipigon area at the community, development corporation, and tribal council level. He has pursued a legal career in an effort to deepen this engagement and become useful to Indigenous communities in new ways.
- Justice Intern, Nokiiwin Tribal Council
- Economic Development, Bingwi Neyaashi Anishinaabek
- Corporation Coordinator, Papasay Management LP
- Economic Development, Kiashke Zaaging Anishinaabek
- Marketing & Development, Shelter House
- Development Officer (Small Business), Thunder Bay Community Economic Development Commission
- Legislative Assistant, Parliament Hill
- Global Edge Intern, State Bank of India (Mumbai)
- Juris Doctor, Bora Laskin Faculty of Law
- Intensive Program in Aboriginal Lands, Resources & Governments, Osgoode Hall Law School
- Honours Bachelor of Commerce, University of Ottawa's Telfer School of Management